Workshops for NARPA 2003: United for Social Justice
List of Presenters and Presentation Titles
Bob Kafka, National Organizer, ADAPT; Co-Director, Institute for Disability Access. Keynote: Still "Crazy" After All These Years - "Visions" of an Old Activist!
Darby Penney, The Community Consortium, Albany, NY, and Peter Stastny, M.D., Albert Einstein College of Medicine. Keynote: Lost Cases, Recovered Lives: Suitcases from a State Hospital Attic
Steven Schwartz, J.D., Executive Director, Center for Public Representation. Keynote Title: The Challenge of Advocacy: Maintaining Integrity and Cultivating Compassion
Dale Boam, J.D., Disability Law Center, Inc., Boston, MA. Workshop Title: Culturally Accessible Legal Advocacy for Deaf Clients
John Breeding, Ph.D.; Director, Texans For Safe Education. Workshop Title: A Legislative Success Tale: Successful Change of Mental Health Policy and Law
* Daniel Fisher, M.D., Ph.D. , National Empowerment Center, and Jean Campbell, Ph.D., Missouri Institute on Mental Health. Workshop Title: Making Recovery Real Through the New Freedom Commission On Mental Health
* Vikki Gilbert and Oryx Cohen, Freedom Center. Workshop Title: Freedom Center: How to Form a Local Support and Activist Community
James Gottstein, J.D., The Law Project for Psychiatric Rights. Workshop Title: The Law Project for Psychiatric Rights: Progress and Directions
* Stacy Haine and Nancy Fudge, Florida Self Directed Care Program. Workshop Title: Florida Self-directed Care: Self-determination for Adults with Psychiatric Disabilities
* Gail Hornstein, Ph.D., Professor of Psychology, Mt. Holyoke College. Workshop Title: Hearing Voices Groups: An Innovative Alternative to Understanding and Coping with "Hallucinations"
* Joyce Johnson, Ph.D., Sonoma State University, and Ron Bassman, Ph.D., The Community Consortium, Albany, NY. Workshop Title: The Sociology of Mental Illness: Teaching College Students About Our Experiences
Ellen Lawson, J.D., Neighborhood Legal Services. Workshop Title: The Crisis for Dually Diagnosed Adolescents: Overcoming Barriers to Finding Community Placements
* Alicia Lucksted, Ph.D., Center for Mental Health Services Research, University of Maryland-Baltimore. Workshop Title: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Consumer/Survivors: Rights? Action!
* Anne Lukito and Sherri Rita, J.D. Protection & Advocacy, Inc., California. Workshop Title: Special Education and Medicaid Advocacy for Children in Institutions
Sharon Masling, J.D., National Association of Protection & Advocacy Systems (NAPAS), and Marianne Lado, J.D., NY Lawyers for the Public Interest. Workshop Title: Responding to the Supreme Court's Rollback of Civil Rights
Daniel J. McGlynn, J.D. and John G. Allelo, J.D., Law firm of McGlynn, Glisson & Koch, Baton Rouge. Workshop Title: Tardive Dyskinesia Litigation - "Somebody's Gotta Do It!"
* Jacki McKinney, People of Colour Consumer Survivor Network; and Celia Brown, NARPA Board Member & Director of Peer Specialist Services, NYC Field Office of Mental Health. Workshop Title: A Dialogue on Cultural Competence
Beth Mitchell, J.D., Advocacy Inc. Workshop Title: Unreasonable Search and Seizure for Mental Health Treatment
* Beth Mitchell, J.D. and Aaryce Hayes, M.S.W., Advocacy Inc., Austin, TX; and Jacki McKinney, People of Colour Consumer Survivor Network. Workshop Title: Restraint and Seclusion Reduction: Legal and Public Policy Strategies
* Elizabeth Priaulx, J.D., National Association of Protection & Advocacy Systems (NAPAS). Workshop Title: Olmstead and Access to Mental Health Services for Youth
Carolyn Salisbury, J.D., University of Miami Law School. Workshop Title: Not Seen and Not Heard: Children Committed to Institutions
Steven Schwartz, J.D., Executive Director, Center for Public Representation. Workshop Title: Litigation Strategies for Enforcing Medicaid's EPSDT Mandate for Children's Mental Health Services
Peter Stastny, M.D., Albert Einstein College of Medicine; and Tom Behrendt, J.D., Connecticut Legal Rights Project. Workshop Title: Strategies for Cross-Examining Psychiatrists in "Mental Health" Proceedings
Susan Stefan, J.D., Center for Public Representation, Jennifer Mathis, J.D., The Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law, Lucy Wood, J.D., Advocacy, Inc., and Dale Boam, J.D., Disability Law Center, Inc., Boston, MA. Workshop Title: Bringing ADA Litigation on Behalf of Deaf Clients
* Note: As of October 28, 2003, workshops marked with an asterisk (*) have been approved for continuing education credits for Social Workers, LPCs and LMFTs by the Texas Chapter of the National Association of Social Workers.